Marble flooring is known for its durability, beauty, and elegance. It is often chosen over tile flooring due to its natural look and feel. However, marble flooring does require maintenance and care. If not properly maintained, it may become dirty and dull. In addition, marble floors are susceptible to scratches and stains.
Tile flooring is much easier to maintain than marble flooring. It requires little to no cleaning and maintenance. It is also stain resistant and scratch proof. However, tile flooring is less durable than marble flooring. Over time, tiles tend to chip and crack.
- Marble flooring is generally more expensive than tile flooring. It costs about $10 per square foot to install marble flooring. On average, tile flooring costs around $8 per square foot.
- Marble flooring is more difficult to clean than tile flooring. Cleaning marble flooring involves using harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners. Tile flooring can be cleaned easily with warm water and soap.
- Marble flooring is harder to repair than tile flooring. Marble flooring cannot be repaired if damaged. Tile flooring can usually be fixed if damaged.
- Marble flooring is heavier than tile flooring. A typical 8-foot by 10-foot marble floor weighs approximately 1,000 pounds. Tile flooring weighs only 500 pounds.
- Marble flooring is not suitable for wet areas. Wet areas should have tile flooring installed instead.
- Marble flooring is prone to damage. Marble flooring is vulnerable to scratching, chipping, and cracking. Tile flooring is less likely to suffer these damages.
- Marble flooring is extremely heavy. It takes at least two people to move a single piece of marble flooring. Tile flooring can easily be moved by one person.
- Marble flooring is very slippery. Slippery surfaces make it hard to walk on them. Tile flooring is not slippery.
- Marble flooring is highly flammable. Marble flooring is susceptible to fire and burns easily. Tile flooring is nonflammable.
- Marble flooring is noisy. Marble flooring makes loud noises when walked upon. Tile flooring is quiet.
- Marble flooring is cold to the touch. Marble flooring is colder than tile flooring.
- Marble flooring is difficult to keep clean. Marble flooring is messy and tends to get dirty. Tile flooring is easier to keep clean.